Hi! I’m Jonathan and I’m a fine art wedding photographer based in the beautiful city of Perth, but I’m more than happy to document weddings all over the world!
I live in a little house with my wife, Kenaina, who’s a calligrapher (check out her work here), and our adopted little dachshund, Jazzy, who loves spending her days in a eat-sleep-bark cycle.
I love travelling (Japan is my all time favourite destination), watching movies (I probably spend way too many hours on Netflix), and photography (duh I know, but I really do love it). My love of people watching is what got me into photography, and I’ve been shooting for a little over 10 years now, with 2 of those spent shooting weddings. The best thing about being a wedding photographer is that I get to meet people madly in love and document their love story. If that’s not a dream job I don’t know what is!
When I think of the word “wedding”, three words come to mind – Celebration, Marriage, Love. To me, a wedding is a celebration marking the beginning of a marriage, but the most important thing is love. Without love there can be no successful marriage, and without a successful marriage a wedding means nothing. I make it my duty to document those in-between moments during your celebration, to translate that into a tangible form where you can not only pass it down to future generations, but also to reflect back during the tougher times in your marriage, to remind you of the vows you’ve made to love each other, for better or for worse.
On a lighter note, here are some more random fun facts about me, in no particular order:
- I love dogs, especially corgis and dachshunds, Facebook and Youtube picked up on this early last year.
- I’m a massive Harry Potter fan. Once a friend’s family organised a HP themed party for her – there was a quiz section designed for the birthday girl to win (they assumed that she was the biggest fan there); I beat her to almost every question!
- I’m a huge Lord of the Rings fan too – my wife zones out when I start telling her about the lore and history of Middle Earth.
- I grew up in Malaysia. Other than English, I speak Mandarin and Malay (not that well, considering that it’s the national language). I would love to learn either Japanese or Italian (we’ve been talking about moving to either Tokyo or Venice for a while, let’s see if it really happens).
- Speaking of Japan, it’s the best place ever! My wife reckoned I was overhyping myself when we were on our honeymoon, but guess what!? IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!! Waaay better than what I expected. Get in touch if you guys want some recommendations about what to do in Tokyo (we were there for 3.5 weeks when we last went).
- I love Japanese food, especially sushi. I’m almost always craving sushi (Jaws along Hay St and Modern Eatery in Mt Lawley are my favourites in Perth).
- I love shooting film and collecting lots of film cameras.
- I love smelling new rolls of film. My wife worries that I’ll die from the fumes one day, but I think it’s worth it.
- I like cleaning my ears with q-tips, even though I know that I shouldn’t.
- Clowns scare me. Snails and pitcher plants terrify me too.
- My favourite vegetable is lettuce, because it usually comes with a burger.